From 1936 comes Jamboree: The Sky’s the Limit board game from Selchow & Righter Company, renowned makers of Parcheesi. This extraordinary board game may be played by two to sixteen players from the ages of “11 to 111” (according to a tongue-in-cheek statement in the instructions). The objective is to be the player with the most cash at the end of the game, but the journey to do so involves skillful buying and selling combined with the elements of chance.
Jamboree, The Sky’s the Limit is loaded with unique components:
- A spinner;
- A dice cup with 2 wooden dice;
- 8 embossed, numbered playing tokens;
- 8 personality cards that match the tokens: Manufacturer, Planter, Jeweler, Broker, Inventor, Doctor, Lawyer, and Publisher;
- 32 puzzle chits that corresponding to a unique item that would be of value to each of the Personalities: Radio, Bale of Cotton, Diamond Ring, Government Bond, Microscope, Tube of Radium, Mortgage Document, and Novel;
- 16 metal transportations units: 4 blue ships, 4 green airplanes, 4 red buses and 4 black trains;
- Packet of Bank of Jamboree play money, in denominations of $50, $100, $500 and $1,000; and,
- A set of Market Indicator sheets.
For a game approaching 80 years of age, the Jamboree: The Sky’s the Limit board game is in remarkably great vintage condition. The interior still has the cellophane film that covers the game components. The top of the box does have one damaged corner (see accompanying photographs). Some of the personality cards and puzzle chits have printer spots or have discolored minimally with age. More significantly, the game has all its components!
The diversity and complexity of this board game offers hours of challenging play for any game night with family or friends. For vintage game collectors or for those who collect games that focus on finances and stock trade, Jamboree: The Sky’s the Limit would make for a great addition to your collection.