Produced in 1939 under the renowned Pepys card game line of Castell Brothers, Ltd., of Great Britain, FAMO Card Game is a rare and unique game that features 11 renowned characters of British history, literature and culture. Each character has three cards that depict items associated with him or her. James Watt’s cards, for example, show a kettle, a steam pump, and an apron. The cards may be used to play Pool, Snap, or collecting complete sets.
FAMO characters and their respective item cards include:
- Boadicea - (Sword, Horses, Chariot)
- Robert Bruce - (Shield, Spider, Web)
- Grace Darling - (Lighthouse, Oars, Shipwreck)
- Francis Drake - (Bowls, Green, Armada)
- Guy Fawkes - (Houses of Parliament, Powder Barrel, Key)
- Admiral Nelson - (Ship's Cannon, Telescope, HMS Victory)
- Florence Nightingale - (Headdress, Hospital, Bed, Lamp)
- Walter Raleigh - (Cloak, Ruffle, Hat & Plume)
- William Tell - (Apple, Quiver, Bow)
- Dick Turpin - (Mask, Black Bess, Pistol)
- James Watt - (Kettle, Steam Pump, Apron)
The card deck has all 44 of its beautifully illustrated cards plus the very rare Joker. The cards are in excellent vintage condition, free of creases, tears, and frayed edges, and their graphics remain colorful and bright. The original small, four-page rules leaflet accompanies the deck. The back page of the rules has some torn edges. The game box, however, suffers from some significant damage, including a separated lid flap, squashed edges, a tear to the front and edge wear.
For an evening of great family entertainment, the FAMO Card Game is an ideal item to buy. For collectors of vintage foreign-made card games, this pre-World War II, 75-year-old game makes for a surprising find.