This exquisite bobcat fetish was hard-carved by Zuni artisan Ernie Mackel. The fetish is carved from picture jasper, and the artist has completely detailed the pelt of the bobcat, including the underbelly and the claws on the paws. Carving in this way gives the bobcat a strong, compact body with powerful looking shoulders and haunches. The small tail and the tufts around the cheeks are beautifully detailed as well. The bobcat stands looking forward intently, his entire posture showing his focus on something ahead of him. Ernie Mackel has finished this dynamic little fetish with inlaid turquoise eyes, and the bobcat stands on a beautiful turquoise slab.
This small fetish can guide the student of spiritual pursuits in two ways: first, through the totem teacher it represents (Bobcat), and second, through the healing vibrations of the gemstone from which the image has been carved (Picture Jasper).
Some of the spiritual lessons that Bobcat teaches are:
- Use of stealth, strategy and patience when seeking one’s goals and mission in life.
- Ability to plan and adapt in daily situations.
- Alertness at all times.
- Expression of love, respect and consideration of others.
- Knowing when to step back from the company of certain people in one’s life.
Our tribal elders teach us that Cousin Bobcat is the example of being playful with others yet alert to our surroundings at every moment, of knowing when to hunt for what we need and to pull back and find “alone time.” Bobcat nurtures her young and so we must be willing to do similarly, whether the “young” is a person, a project or an opportunity.
As for Picture Jasper, some of its spiritual, healing properties include:
- Emotional connection with Mother Earth’s consciousness.
- Walking according to ancient knowledge and perennial wisdom so as to live in harmony with the Earth.
- Connection with the energy of sacred sites during meditation.
- Powerful guidance through dream work and inner visioning.
- Control and direction of elemental forces.
When meditating with this potent totem carving, the challenge, of course, is to blend the universal teachings of the Bobcat with the healing energies of the Picture Jasper. We recommend exploring the vibrations of this fetish in a place of solitude that speaks to your heart and spirit.
This picture jasper bobcat fetish standing upon a slab of turquoise so beautifully carved by Ernie Mackel would make an ideal gift for a loved one in need of its teachings and healing properties, for someone who has created a prayer wheel in her/his special meditation space or room, or for a collector of gemstones or tribal artifacts.