About the Artist:
The White House is both a symbol and part of the national heritage of the United States of America. It is the only residence of a Chief of State in the world open to the public without charge and is visited by more than one and a half million people each year.
The White House Historical Association was organized in 1961 to enhance public understanding, appreciation and enjoyment of the White House. Income from the sale of books, slides and other published materials about the White House is used to acquire historical furnishings and other objects for the White House.
This 1986 Christmas ornament celebrating the history of the U.S. White House was acquired at an estate sale in northwest Indiana. The ornament comes with its original gift box, an eight-page description pamphlet, and an order form for additional White House Historical Association ornaments.
The White House Christmas ornament for the year 1986 replicates the south front of the President’s House as it appeared almost 190 years ago for the Christmas festivities of the U.S. President, James Monroe. President Monroe had the half-circle portico built in the previous year, giving the presidential mansion not only a “back porch,” but one of the most distinctive architectural features. There had been heretofore only a plain wooden balcony built to the “bow” projection central to the south front. The portico was completed in time to be used by the Revolutionary War hero, General Lafayette, on his triumphant return to the United States for a visit in 1824.
This beautiful and collectible Christmas ornament would make a wonderful holiday gift as well as a welcome addition to any Americana collection.