Faux Pearl & Enamel Pear Brooch
Jonette Jewelry Company
1.25"w x 1.675"h x 0.5"d
An eye-catching number of faux pearls along with a brown enamel stem and green enamel leaves are what go into the wonderful design of this small brooch. The golden pearls are set in gold-tone metal. This early 1970s brooch has a standard pin back and has the hallmark “©JJ” stamped on its reverse side.
The pear brooch is in very fine vintage condition. Though the pearls have some wear typical of the age of the piece, no pearls are missing. The enamel is nice as well.
This lovely faux-pearl and enamel pear brooch could serve as a wonderful gift for a family member or friend, or it could be added to your own collection for you to wear with any formal or casual outfit.
The Jonette Jewelry Company was started by Abraham Lisker. Before he decided on his career path, Mr. Lisker trained as a physician, until he changed directions and entered the jewelry industry, working for several years in Rhode Island. In 1935, he started his own business, “Providence Jewelry Company,” and produced costume jewelry in East Providence, Rhode Island.
In 1937, when his brother Nathan joined the business, the name was changed to “Lisker & Lisker.” Following the sales success and popularity of their ballerina and mother-of-pearl pins, Abraham Lisker directed the company towards novelty figural pieces.
When World War II began, Abraham Lisker closed the factory (due to government restrictions and shortages of materials), then enlisted and served a two-year tour of duty in the U.S. Army. At the war’s end, the Lisker brothers decided to rename the company, and they combined the names of their parents, John and Etta, to form the name Jonette. Records show that the “Jonette Jewelry Co.” was established in 1944, incorporated in the state of Rhode Island.
1970 marked the start of the copyrighted “JJ” mark, which was signed on all pieces from that point forward. Abraham Lisker decided to retire in 1972, and his son, B. Gordon Lisker, took over the business. After nearly 70 years as a family-operated business, the company closed in 2006.