Star-Gazing Woman Brooch

Jonette Jewelry Company

Free Shipping
W01-0282-1022
Vintage
2.25"w x 3.25"h x 0.5"d
Jewelry
Costume

$100.00

Description

Jonette Jewelry pieces such as this huge and finely detailed star-gazing woman brooch have become quite collectible throughout the past year. Made of bronze-plated metal, this brooch sports seven aurora borealis rhinestones, five rhinestone half-spheres, and a large transparent crystal ball. The central figure of a kneeling woman staring at the stars, the filigree around the main image, and the bulkier branches that hold some of the rhinestones and half-spheres contribute to a stunning design. The hallmark “©JJ” appears on the back side of the brooch.

Overall, this early 1980s brooch is in excellent vintage condition. The pin and clasp mechanism is a great working order. This is a well-maintained piece of costume jewelry.

This uncommon, ornate fantasy figure brooch would enhance the value of any costume jewelry collection, so don’t let it pass you by!

About the Artist

The Jonette Jewelry Company was started by Abraham Lisker. Before he decided on his career path, Mr. Lisker trained as a physician, until he changed directions and entered the jewelry industry, working for several years in Rhode Island. In 1935, he started his own business, “Providence Jewelry Company,” and produced costume jewelry in East Providence, Rhode Island.

In 1937, when his brother Nathan joined the business, the name was changed to “Lisker & Lisker.” Following the sales success and popularity of their ballerina and mother-of-pearl pins, Abraham Lisker directed the company towards novelty figural pieces.

When World War II began, Abraham Lisker closed the factory (due to government restrictions and shortages of materials), then enlisted and served a two-year tour of duty in the U.S. Army. At the war’s end, the Lisker brothers decided to rename the company, and they combined the names of their parents, John and Etta, to form the name Jonette. Records show that the “Jonette Jewelry Co.” was established in 1944, incorporated in the state of Rhode Island.

1970 marked the start of the copyrighted “JJ” mark, which was signed on all pieces from that point forward. Abraham Lisker decided to retire in 1972, and his son, B. Gordon Lisker, took over the business. After nearly 70 years as a family-operated business, the company closed in 2006.